If you have made the decision to file for divorce, consider starting a divorce file. To be clear, a physical divorce file. Bonus points if it’s the classic manila shade (We kid).
Your file should be organized, easy to navigate and contain the following:
- Tax Returns for the past 3-5 years
- Insurance policies
- Retirement Account Statements
- Pension Statements
- Social Security Estimates
- Employment Contracts
- Personal Property Documents
- Wills, Trusts, Power of Attorney
- Medical Directives
- Stock Options
- Mortgages and Property Tax Documents
- Recent Credit Card Statements
- Loan Statements
- Credit Reports
- Copy of all bills for the past 12 months
- Incurred Debt Statements
Gathering all of these documents will be quite the task, however doing so will make the beginning stages of your divorce proceedings run smoother. In a digital world, some find solace in obtaining the physical documents all in one place.
Carrie Bradshaw from the hit show “Sex And The City” once said “I like my money right where I can see it…hanging in my closet.”
Petitioner, filer, first step taker, you like your money (and your assets) right where you can see them…neatly stacked in your divorce file.
Need further assistance? We are here to help. For a free consultation, please contact us at 858-371-5569