How to Divorce Fairly When Your Spouse is a Lawyer
Solana Beach, CA – For many, the legal system seems mercilessly complicated and confusing. This is especially true in divorces that involve children, complicated property issues, or when one spouse is an attorney him or herself. For the spouse who isn’t a lawyer, it may feel as if the odds are stacked in the other’s favor. Luckily, there are some ways to ensure a fair divorce process.
“During a divorce, it can be particularly daunting for a spouse who’s married to a lawyer,” says experienced California family law attorney John Griffith. “However, with other law professionals on your side, you can rest assured that the process will be fair.”
Potential Problems When Divorcing a Lawyer
For those who are planning to divorce an attorney, there are a few possible issues that may arise. These include, but aren’t limited to, the following:
- Insider’s knowledge: The spouse who’s the attorney, depending on the specialty in which s/he practices, may already know some of the judges or other lawyers in the area.
- Lack of preparation: Without thorough knowledge of family law, both parties can find themselves unprepared. For the spouse less versed in legal jargon, some research and consultations may be necessary. Understanding the California Rules of Court, as well as terms like disclosure and discovery can help the process move along better.
- Emotions running high: While divorce is by nature an emotionally trying process, it’s best for both parties to maintain cool heads. A spouse who’s an attorney may be more adept at using emotional outbursts from the other spouse as evidence of any number of problems. It’s always important to be as calm and rational as possible when dealing with a spouse who has legal experience.
The Bright Side
While the problems above can seem daunting, there is a silver lining:
- Professionalism: Since lawyers themselves have reputations to protect, the attorney spouse will likely not want to tarnish his or her own name during the divorce.
- The law is the law: Everyone, lawyer or not, still has to respect the divorce process according to California courts.
- Good representation: With knowledgeable family law attorneys, the playing field is immediately leveled, leading to a decidedly fairer and smoother divorce process than going it alone.
In cases like these, it’s virtually necessary to find an attorney who is well-versed in family law. This way, the spouse with less legal expertise can rest assured that there are no unforeseen events during the divorce, and that everything remains as fair as possible.
If you’re considering divorcing a spouse with a legal background, please email to schedule a free consultation. You can also call (858) 345-1720 in Carlsbad or (858) 345-1720 in San Diego.
About us: The family law attorneys at Griffith, Young and Lass offer experienced, professional, competent legal care for clients in Southern California. Together with you, we will provide you with expert counsel to achieve a desirable outcome to your case.
© 2017 Millionairium and Griffith, Young & Lass. Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Millionairium and Griffith, Young & Lass are credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.